Motorcycle accidents are among the top personal injury cases the leading causes of personal injury on U.S. roadways. This is often because vehicle drivers aren’t paying attention and miss seeing a motorcyclist on the move. Not to mention, the injuries and wounds are often life threatening.
While motorcycle riders are often seen as driving recklessly, surprising statistics actually reveal that motorcyclists are among the safest drivers on the road. But it is important to always ride not only with safety but state motor vehicle laws in mind.
When a motorcycle and a car collide, the motorcyclist is almost always the loser. Recovery can be very slow and the hospital bills astronomical. Below are some of the most common motorcycle accident injuries today:
- Concussions – One of the most serious and common injuries that most medical practitioners see in motorcycle accidents is a traumatic blow to the brain. Such injuries can easily lead to a temporary loss of function. Read more
- Road Rash – Road rash is one of the most common injuries in motorcycle accidents. When anyone is thrown from a motorcycle, even when they are not riding at high speeds, their tissue and skin are extremely susceptible to abrasions once the body comes into contact with pavement.This kind of injury is very painful and can require several weeks in the hospital just to heal properly. Infections are also very common in road rash injuries, and may sometimes require surgery and even skin grafting to heal properly.
- Brain Damage – Permanent damage to the brain can easily occur if there is a concussion and severe head trauma. Brain damage can without a doubt cause behavioral abnormality, permanent disabilities, and it can even affect speech, sight, and motor functions. Read more
- Fractures – Bone fractures are almost always present injuries in motorcycle accidents. Fractured bones can result in immobility and pain for long periods of time, and they can also render the injured party permanently disabled, depending on the severity.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – The spinal cord normally runs from your head down your spinal column. Its main function is to transmit nerve impulses from the brain to the whole body and is undeniably one of the most delicate areas. Injuries to the spinal cord can cause permanent paralysis and disabilities.
In any of the above mentioned injuries, recovery can take several weeks, months or even years. In the meantime, schedules and routines are disrupted, regular bills can go unpaid, and hospital and therapy bills escalate. These costs can reach a surmountable amount—ruining an individual’s finances for the remainder of his or her life.
How to Make Sure Your Motorcycle Accident Injury
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, consider hiring the services of a Jacksonville motorcycle accident lawyer to seek compensation for your medical bills and uphold your rights.
The motorcycle accident attorneys at Hardesty, Tyde, Green & Ashton, P.A. have championed the cause of seriously injured Jacksonville, Florida motorcycle accident victims.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident and want to a fair and just settlement, call us now at (904) 398-2212 for an absolutely free consultation.