If you have had an auto accident in Florida, it can be confusing what your next steps should be. Follow these tips to make sure you take care of yourself and the situation.
- Do not admit fault. It is never to your benefit to admit fault at the scene of the accident.
- Get witness names and contact information. It’s important to gather this information at the scene of the accident so that you can contact eyewitnesses later if necessary.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident if you are able to. These can be helpful in making your case later on.
- Seek legal counsel before giving statement to an insurance company.
- Seek medical attention within 14 days of the accident or your auto insurance will not pay for your medical care. Always let a medic check you out if they are called to the scene. Go the hospital or your doctor if you need medical care, even if it is a couple of days later. Some symptoms may not present immediately at the scene of the accident.
- Do not accept a settlement offer from insurance without first speaking to an attorney. Insurance companies will often make offers lower than the amount you should be entitled to.
To talk to an experienced Florida auto accident attorney, please call 904-398-2212 today or contact Hardesty, Tyde, Green& Ashton for your consultation. We have two convenient office locations in Jacksonville.